The first step in registering an aircraft in the Cayman Islands is submission of registering owner documents for the due diligence process with the electronic Registration Application. In order for an aircraft owner to be deemed eligible to apply for registration to the Cayman Islands Aircraft Register, the registering owner must meet eligibility criteria under the Air Navigation – Overseas Territories (Amendment Order 2015).
The following is a list of entities/persons eligible to apply for registration of aircraft to the Register:
- The Crown in right of Her Majesty’s Government in the United Kingdom or in right of the Government of the Territory (Cayman Islands);
- United Kingdom nationals;
- Commonwealth citizens (which includes citizens of the Cayman Islands);
- Nationals of any European Economic Area State;
- Bodies incorporated in any part of the Commonwealth and which have their registered office or principal place of business in any part of the Commonwealth; or
- Undertakings formed in accordance with the law of an European Economic Area State and which have their registered office, central administration or principal place of business within the European Economic Area.